- 1 What is the benefits of milk thistle?
- 2 Is it OK to take milk thistle every day?
- 3 When should you take milk thistle?
- 4 Does milk thistle help you lose weight?
- 5 How long does it take for milk thistle to start working?
- 6 Does milk thistle detox the liver?
- 7 What can I drink to flush my liver?
- 8 How long does it take for milk thistle to cleanse the liver?
- 9 Do doctors recommend milk thistle?
- 10 What can you not take with milk thistle?
- 11 Does milk thistle detox your body?
- 12 Does milk thistle help sleep?
- 13 What is the best form of milk thistle to take?
- 14 How much milk thistle can you take a day?
- 15 Is milk thistle a laxative?
What is the benefits of milk thistle?
Health Benefits Although milk thistle is most often used for liver conditions, such as hepatitis and cirrhosis, the herb is believed some to prevent or treat high cholesterol, diabetes, heartburn, upset stomach (dyspepsia), hangover, gallbladder problems, menstrual pain, depression, and even certain types of cancer.
Is it OK to take milk thistle every day?
Generally, it’s safe to take milk thistle in recommended doses. Some people have reported nausea, gas, diarrhea, or loss of appetite. Other people have reported a headache or itchiness after they take it. Milk thistle can cause an allergic reaction, especially if you’re allergic to other plants in the same family.
When should you take milk thistle?
Milk thistle can be taken on an empty stomach. Some believe this makes it work faster; however, very sensitive individuals should consider taking milk thistle with a meal instead. Milk thistle can be taken in herbal capsules or liquid extracts.
Does milk thistle help you lose weight?
Little evidence to suggest milk thistle aids weight loss Milk thistle is sometimes used to promote weight loss, but there’s very little research to support its ability to enhance fat loss or improve body composition. One recent study evaluated the effects of using milk thistle extract on mice with obesity.
How long does it take for milk thistle to start working?
How Long Does Milk Thistle Take to Work. There isn’t an exact science behind this, but generally it can take around 3 to 4 months before someone will see any benefits of milk thistle on their health, and this is after daily intake of some form of milk thistle.
Does milk thistle detox the liver?
Consider using a potent milk thistle extract to protect and detox the liver. This fantastic natural herb helps young persons maintain liver health. And after age 40, the detox power of the liver slows down. So regardless of age, milk thistle aids with prevention as well as repair.
What can I drink to flush my liver?
How Do You Flush Out Your Liver?
- Flush out with plenty of water intake: Water is the best flushing agent.
- Get regular exercise: Exercise helps to burn extra calories that reduce your risk of diabetes, excess weight, high blood pressure, and high blood fat.
How long does it take for milk thistle to cleanse the liver?
Early research shows that taking milk thistle extract by mouth for up to one year, or taking a product containing the milk thistle constituent silybin plus phosphatidylcholine by mouth for 1 week, improves liver function tests.
Do doctors recommend milk thistle?
Medical research suggests that milk thistle, combined with traditional treatment, can improve diabetes. Studies have shown a decrease in blood sugar levels and an improvement in cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes.
What can you not take with milk thistle?
Avoid using milk thistle and simeprevir together. Sirolimus (Rapamune). Taking milk thistle with this immunosuppressant might change the way your body processes the medication.
Does milk thistle detox your body?
The active ingredient in milk thistle, silymarin, acts as an antioxidant by reducing free radical production. Scientists think this creates a detoxifying effect, which is why it is milk thistle may be beneficial for liver problems.
Does milk thistle help sleep?
Sleep quality also improves. The effect of taking milk thistle by itself is not known. Multiple sclerosis. Early research suggests that taking a combination supplement containing silymarin, a chemical found in milk thistle, can improve mental function and promote disease stabilization in people with multiple sclerosis.
What is the best form of milk thistle to take?
The Best Milk Thistle Supplements
- Best Overall. Puritan’s Pride Milk Thistle. Affordable Six Month Supply.
- Best Antioxidant Formula. Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle.
- Strongest Dose. Fresh Nutrition Milk Thistle Capsules.
- Best for Liver Health. FarmHaven Milk Thistle Capsules.
- Most Trusted. Nature’s Bounty Milk Thistle Capsules.
How much milk thistle can you take a day?
There is no standardized dosage or recommended intake for milk thistle tea, but it’s generally considered safe if consumed in moderation. Milk thistle supplements, for reference, are tolerated at doses of up to 700 mg, 3 times per day for 24 weeks ( 1 ).
Is milk thistle a laxative?
Milk thistle is considered safe and well-tolerated, with gastrointestinal upset, a mild laxative effect, and rare allergic reaction being the only adverse events reported when taken within the recommended dose range.