- 1 What are the benefits of milk thistle?
- 2 Is it safe to take milk thistle daily?
- 3 When should you take milk thistle?
- 4 How much milk thistle should you take a day?
- 5 How long does it take for milk thistle to start working?
- 6 Does milk thistle detox the liver?
- 7 What can I drink to flush my liver?
- 8 What can you not take with milk thistle?
- 9 Can milk thistle help you lose weight?
- 10 What is the best form of milk thistle to take?
- 11 How long does it take for milk thistle to cleanse the liver?
- 12 Is milk thistle good for kidneys?
What are the benefits of milk thistle?
Ten health benefits of milk thistle
- Supports liver health. One of the most common uses of milk thistle is to treat liver problems.
- Promotes skin health.
- Reduces cholesterol.
- Supports weight loss.
- Reduces insulin resistance.
- Improves allergic asthma symptoms.
- Limits the spread of cancer.
- Supports bone health.
Is it safe to take milk thistle daily?
Generally, it’s safe to take milk thistle in recommended doses. Some people have reported nausea, gas, diarrhea, or loss of appetite. Other people have reported a headache or itchiness after they take it. Milk thistle can cause an allergic reaction, especially if you’re allergic to other plants in the same family.
When should you take milk thistle?
Milk thistle can be taken on an empty stomach. Some believe this makes it work faster; however, very sensitive individuals should consider taking milk thistle with a meal instead. Milk thistle can be taken in herbal capsules or liquid extracts.
How much milk thistle should you take a day?
There is no standardized dosage or recommended intake for milk thistle tea, but it’s generally considered safe if consumed in moderation. Milk thistle supplements, for reference, are tolerated at doses of up to 700 mg, 3 times per day for 24 weeks ( 1 ).
How long does it take for milk thistle to start working?
How Long Does Milk Thistle Take to Work. There isn’t an exact science behind this, but generally it can take around 3 to 4 months before someone will see any benefits of milk thistle on their health, and this is after daily intake of some form of milk thistle.
Does milk thistle detox the liver?
Consider using a potent milk thistle extract to protect and detox the liver. This fantastic natural herb helps young persons maintain liver health. And after age 40, the detox power of the liver slows down. So regardless of age, milk thistle aids with prevention as well as repair.
What can I drink to flush my liver?
How Do You Flush Out Your Liver?
- Flush out with plenty of water intake: Water is the best flushing agent.
- Get regular exercise: Exercise helps to burn extra calories that reduce your risk of diabetes, excess weight, high blood pressure, and high blood fat.
What can you not take with milk thistle?
Avoid using milk thistle and simeprevir together. Sirolimus (Rapamune). Taking milk thistle with this immunosuppressant might change the way your body processes the medication.
Can milk thistle help you lose weight?
Milk thistle is sometimes used to promote weight loss, but there’s very little research to support its ability to enhance fat loss or improve body composition. One recent study evaluated the effects of using milk thistle extract on mice with obesity.
What is the best form of milk thistle to take?
The Best Milk Thistle Supplements
- Best Overall. Puritan’s Pride Milk Thistle. Affordable Six Month Supply.
- Best Antioxidant Formula. Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle.
- Strongest Dose. Fresh Nutrition Milk Thistle Capsules.
- Best for Liver Health. FarmHaven Milk Thistle Capsules.
- Most Trusted. Nature’s Bounty Milk Thistle Capsules.
How long does it take for milk thistle to cleanse the liver?
Early research shows that taking milk thistle extract by mouth for up to one year, or taking a product containing the milk thistle constituent silybin plus phosphatidylcholine by mouth for 1 week, improves liver function tests.
Is milk thistle good for kidneys?
Milk thistle (Silymarin marianum) is a well-known herbal therapeutic commonly used for liver support. It supports detoxification through enhancing liver as well as kidney and pancreatic function.