- 1 What is milk thistle used for?
- 2 Is milk thistle safe to take?
- 3 How much milk thistle should I take a day?
- 4 Can you take milk thistle every day?
- 5 What can I drink to flush my liver?
- 6 Can milk thistle reverse liver damage?
- 7 Can milk thistle help lose belly fat?
- 8 What should you not take with milk thistle?
- 9 How long does milk thistle take to work?
- 10 What is the best time to take milk thistle?
- 11 What is the best form of milk thistle to take?
- 12 Is milk thistle safe for kidneys?
- 13 How long does it take for milk thistle to cleanse the liver?
- 14 Does milk thistle have any side effects?
- 15 Is milk thistle good for the skin?
What is milk thistle used for?
The terms “milk thistle” and “silymarin” are often used interchangeably. Historically, people have used milk thistle for liver disorders and gallbladder problems. Milk thistle is promoted as a dietary supplement for hepatitis, cirrhosis, jaundice, diabetes, indigestion, and other conditions.
Is milk thistle safe to take?
Generally, it’s safe to take milk thistle in recommended doses. Some people have reported nausea, gas, diarrhea, or loss of appetite. Other people have reported a headache or itchiness after they take it. Milk thistle can cause an allergic reaction, especially if you’re allergic to other plants in the same family.
How much milk thistle should I take a day?
There is no standardized dosage or recommended intake for milk thistle tea, but it’s generally considered safe if consumed in moderation. Milk thistle supplements, for reference, are tolerated at doses of up to 700 mg, 3 times per day for 24 weeks ( 1 ).
Can you take milk thistle every day?
Early research suggests that taking milk thistle leaf extract by mouth three times daily for 8 weeks has a limited effect on OCD symptoms. It does not appear to more beneficial than conventional medication.
What can I drink to flush my liver?
How Do You Flush Out Your Liver?
- Flush out with plenty of water intake: Water is the best flushing agent.
- Get regular exercise: Exercise helps to burn extra calories that reduce your risk of diabetes, excess weight, high blood pressure, and high blood fat.
Can milk thistle reverse liver damage?
Milk thistle will not reverse existing liver damage, and it will not cure infection with the hepatitis B or hepatitis C virus. Milk thistle should not be used by people who have complications from cirrhosis (such as variceal bleeding or ascites).
Can milk thistle help lose belly fat?
Milk thistle is sometimes used to promote weight loss, but there’s very little research to support its ability to enhance fat loss or improve body composition. One recent study evaluated the effects of using milk thistle extract on mice with obesity.
What should you not take with milk thistle?
Avoid using milk thistle and simeprevir together. Sirolimus (Rapamune). Taking milk thistle with this immunosuppressant might change the way your body processes the medication.
How long does milk thistle take to work?
How Long Does Milk Thistle Take to Work. There isn’t an exact science behind this, but generally it can take around 3 to 4 months before someone will see any benefits of milk thistle on their health, and this is after daily intake of some form of milk thistle.
What is the best time to take milk thistle?
Milk thistle can be taken on an empty stomach. Some believe this makes it work faster; however, very sensitive individuals should consider taking milk thistle with a meal instead. Milk thistle can be taken in herbal capsules or liquid extracts.
What is the best form of milk thistle to take?
The Best Milk Thistle Supplements
- Best Overall. Puritan’s Pride Milk Thistle. Affordable Six Month Supply.
- Best Antioxidant Formula. Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle.
- Strongest Dose. Fresh Nutrition Milk Thistle Capsules.
- Best for Liver Health. FarmHaven Milk Thistle Capsules.
- Most Trusted. Nature’s Bounty Milk Thistle Capsules.
Is milk thistle safe for kidneys?
Milk thistle (Silymarin marianum) is a well-known herbal therapeutic commonly used for liver support. It supports detoxification through enhancing liver as well as kidney and pancreatic function.
How long does it take for milk thistle to cleanse the liver?
Early research shows that taking milk thistle extract by mouth for up to one year, or taking a product containing the milk thistle constituent silybin plus phosphatidylcholine by mouth for 1 week, improves liver function tests.
Does milk thistle have any side effects?
Milk thistle seems to have few side effects, even when taken for several years. Some people have nausea, diarrhea, itching, and bloating. Interactions. If you take any medicines regularly, talk to your doctor before you start using milk thistle.
Is milk thistle good for the skin?
Promotes skin health Milk thistle may help to promote healthy skin. A 2015 study found that milk thistle helped improve inflammatory skin conditions when applied to the skin of mice. Milk thistle was also found to have antioxidant and anti-aging effects on human skin cells in a laboratory environment in another study.